Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Falling North


So as it is widely becoming common knowledge, yes I am leaving California. This is a bummer, man. At the same time it is a step forward in the right direction. I didn't like L.A., and I couldn't find a job like I had in L.A. when I moved to San Francisco. I took some risks and had a fun six years in Cali, but it is time to move forward where I can have a higher level of opportunity and start to develop a professional career. I am waiting to hear from back from law schools, and hopefully will be attending one this Fall. Also, I hear unemployment isn't over 12% in MN. And that state isn't bankrupt.

Of course this whole moving to MN thing is a mixed bag. Almost all of my friends there are married, and I give it about a month before one of those couples tries to play matchmaker with me. My parents will be thrilled, and I will get a whole new level of nagging from my mother about finding a nice wifey and making her a baby's mama's mama (is that the right way to describe a grandmother)? It'll be weird being back permanentely, but it will be nice knowing I will have a network of family and friends there. Also the fact that the cost of living will be cut nearly in half will be fantastic as well. I already changed over my car insurance and it dropped a lot. Apparently it is too cold to steal cars in MN.

As it goes though, I don't regret any of it. The California life came full circle and gave me a lot of life experiences I wouldn't have had if I had never left Minnesota in the first place. For instance, I never would have snorted coke off a call-girl's derriere in Minnesota. And I never would have run over a Berkeley student protesting in the middle of the highway and gotten away with it because I said my Prius "malfunctioned." And I never would have had a heart to heart with Kiefer Sutherland in the bathroom after he was feeling down about complimenting the waitress' hair at a bar who had a wig because she was going through chemotherapy and I repeatedly called him "Jack." Ok, only the last one was actually true. Either way, it's been a long and strange ride. But I feel like I made the most of my early-mid twenties.

No comments:

Post a Comment